Cristina creates a festive cake for the 4th of July holiday!
Ingredients for the cake:
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 9 Egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon red gel food color
- 1/4 teaspoon blue gel food color
Ingredients for the Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces (2 sticks or 1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cream
Directions for cake:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Place sugar and 3/4 cup butter in another bowl; beat at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until creamy. Add 1 egg white at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with 1 1/2 cups milk, beating at low speed after each addition just until mixed.
- Divide batter in half; tint one half red. Divide remaining batter in half; tint one half blue and leave other white.
- Pour each batter into individual prepared pans. Bake white and blue layers 18-20 minutes. Bake red layer 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack. Loosen edge of cakes by running knife around inside edge. Carefully remove cakes from pans to cooling rack; cool completely.
- Cut domed top off red cake horizontally to create flat top. Cut remaining red cake and white cake in half horizontally, creating 5 layers total.
- Cut 5-inch circle from blue cake.
- Build cake starting with white layer. Next, blue layer. Last red layer. Frost after each layer.
- Trim top red layer to create flat cake top. Spread thin layer of frosting over entire cake; refrigerate until set. Frost cake with remaining frosting.
- Decorate cake with flags, sprinkles, and berries.
Directions for frosting:
Fourth of July Flag Cake - Home & Family
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the sugar and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase the speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add the salt, vanilla, and cream and beat on medium for 1 minute, adding more cream if needed.