"Taste of Home" recipe submitted by Heidi Jobe – Carrollton, Georgia
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (13 1/2 ounces) smoked beef sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (8 ounces) jambalaya mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) dirty rice mix
In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir until browned. Remove from pan.
In same pan, brown sausage over medium heat; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Heat remaining butter in same pan over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in stock, water, tomatoes, and rice mixes. Return chicken and sausage to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
"Taste of Home" is the #1 food and entertaining magazine in the world, with 3.2 million readers. Each year, "Taste of Home" receives more than 11,000 ideas and recipe submissions from real home cooks across the country. Just under 2,000 recipes are tested and then featured in "Taste of Home" magazines, cookbooks, and on tasteofhome.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.
Return to episode guide>>