Check out this delectable recipe for a bittersweet chocolate cake with a decadent chocolate glaze!
Bittersweet Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup water
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon, salt
- ⅔ cup whipping cream
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1-cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Heartie Chocolate Cake - Home & Family
Bittersweet Chocolate Cake
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350°.
- Create a water bath for baking the cake by placing a roasting pan large enough to hold the cake pan on the middle rack and filling it almost halfway up with hot water.
- Grease the bottom and the sides of a 9” heart-shaped baking pan.
- Place the heart-shaped baking pan on a piece of parchment paper.
- Trace around the bottom edges with a pencil.
- Then, cut the heart shape out of the parchment and lay it inside the heart-shaped pan. Finally, grease the top of the parchment paper.
- Create a double broiler to mix the chocolate by adding water to a medium-size saucepan and begin heating it to a low simmer on the stovetop.
- In a stainless steel bowl, add the chocolate and ⅓ cup water together.
- Then, place the bowl over the rim of the simmering pot and stir frequently. The trick here is to slowly melt the chocolate without scorching it.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, remove the bowl from the heat, set aside and allow it to cool. In another stainless-steel bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt until they are blended.
- Then, set the bowl over the simmering pot to warm the eggs and dissolve the sugar. Be sure to whisk constantly for about 1 minute.
- Be careful not to let the water touch the bottom of the bowl, or you may end up with scrambled eggs!
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and use your wire whisk attachment to beat at high speed until the mixture has tripled in volume (approximately 3 minutes).
- In another bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the heavy cream until it is firm and peaks just start to form.
- Gently fold the cooled chocolate into the eggs.
- Once these are completely mixed, fold the whipped cream in to the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and place the pan into the roasting pan/water bath.
- The water should be halfway up sides of the cake pan. Be sure to use hot water if you need to add more.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Then, transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for 25 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a wire rack and gently peel off the parchment paper.
- Let the cake cool completely, then gently lift it from the cooling rack using a metal spatula (be careful) onto a plate.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze Recipe:
- Add the chocolate into a food processor and process until finely ground.
- Pour the ground chocolate into a ceramic bowl.
- In a small saucepan, add the cream and bring to a boil.
- Pour the hot cream into the ceramic bowl with the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the vanilla and stir (sometimes I put the ceramic bowl over a pan of simmering water to further melt the chocolate to a smooth a creamy consistency).
- To glaze the cake, lift it off the plate gently and place it on a wire rack over a baking sheet to catch the excess chocolate.
- Pour the warm glaze over the top of the cake and use a knife or rubber spatula to spread it evenly all over the top and sides, covering the cake completely.
- Let it set for 10 minutes.
- Using a metal spatula, lift the cake off the wire rack and place onto a cake plate.
- Decorate the top or edges with fresh flowers.
It’s very potent, so be careful—a little goes a long way!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page