- 7 pieces of apple wood smoked bacon, diced into small strips
- ½ tsp butter
- 6 chicken legs, skin on, bone in
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks (1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup frozen pearl onions
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup cognac
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 cup Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups white button mushrooms, quartered
1. In a large Dutch oven or oven safe casserole with a lid, melt butter and sauté bacon. Once crispy, transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towel. Leave fat in pan.
2. Season chicken legs on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In the bacon fat, brown chicken, on both sides. Transfer to a plate to rest.
4. In the chicken fat, sauté carrots and onions until browned and tender. Add ½ tsp of dried
5. Turn off flame while adding alcohol. Add cognac and wine, stir. Turn flame back on. Add
6. Add garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, and salt. Stir to combine.
7. Add 3 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce.
8. Create a “slurry” by combining 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water, mix to combine.
9. Add the slurry to the pot and bring to a boil, this will allow the sauce to thicken. Then lower
to a simmer.
10. Place the chicken, skin side up, back into the pot. Place lid on top.
11. Bake at 350F for 25 mins.
12. Meanwhile sauté mushrooms in butter until browned.
13. At the 25 min mark, add mushrooms. Cover and bake for another 20 mins.
14. Then remove lid, garnish with fresh thyme, and bring to the table!
15. Serve with a mashed potato puree or crusty French bread.
NOTE: If making this the day ahead cool completely, and refrigerate, covered. Before
reheating, add a splash of chicken broth to loosen sauce and cover and heat at 300F for 20