Directions for Cookies
1. Break up the almond paste into a food processor and add the sugar and salt. Pulse until the mixture looks like sand and there are no large pieces of almond paste.
2. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and gently fold in the flour. Next fold in the sprinkles.
5. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
7. While the cake is cooling make the chocolate buttercream (Recipe below).
8. Cut the cake into 3 strips about 5 1/3” wide.
9. Place one piece of the cake on a piece of aluminum foil and spread half the buttercream on the cake. Top with the second piece of cake and spread with the remaining buttercream. Top with the remaining piece of cake.
10. Wrap well in foil. Place a cutting board on top and weight down overnight or for about 3-4 hours.
11. Melt 4 ounces of milk chocolate using a double boiler or microwave and spread on the top layer of cake.
12. Scatter sprinkles on top
13. Allow the chocolate to set by placing in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
14. Cut in 1” squares.
Directions for Almond Paste
1. Place the almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor and pulse 10- 12 times.
2. Add the salt, egg whites and almond extract (if using almond paste to make the confetti italian cookies, omit the almond extract)and pulse about 20 times or until smooth and comes together.
3. Remove and wrap tightly in plastic and place in an airtight container if using at a later time.