Debbie is making a retro candy classic – Rock Candy, inspired by the new Hallmark Channel original “Christmas Comes Twice.”
Christmas Rock Candy
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups white sugar
- Flavoring and coloring as desired
- 2-pint jars
- 2 clothespins
- 2 5-inch skewers
- Plain white sugar
- In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil.
- When it is bubbling, lower the heat and begin to stir in the sugar (1/2 cup at a time).
- When all the sugar is dissolved turn off the heat and allow it to cool for 15 minutes while you prepare the jars and skewers.
- Wet the skewers with water and then sprinkle plain sugar all around.
- Let this sugar dry and set while the solution cools.
- When the solution is ready, pour it into the empty jars.
- Pinch the skewers with clothespins and lower them into the jars, using the clothespins to keep them from touching the bottom.
- Wait for crystals to begin growing, anywhere from one to 10 days.
- When ready, remove the crystal from solution and hang it to dry in an empty jar, then eat when ready!