- 1 cup sliced dry Spanish chorizo
- 3 each large diced boneless chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup English peas
- 1 minced, brunoise red onion
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 4 minced piquillo peppers
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cups paella rice
- 5 quarts good quality chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 tablespoon of saffron (Spanish is preferable)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 14-inch paella pan, brown diced chicken thighs over med high heat for 4-6 min until crispy and brown. Add chorizo and saute for 2 more minutes then remove from pan.
2. Add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil and cook onion, garlic, and piquillo for 20 minutes on low heat until cooked to near paste. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook slowly for another 10 minutes.
3. Add 2/3 cup rice and saffron, and stir for 1 min. Add stock to cover rice and stir only until rice is evenly spread and reduce stock over rice until almost dry. Repeat this process until rice is almost cooked through. Add the final portion of stock, nestle the cooked chicken and chorizo into the rice, sprinkle in the peas, then reduce remaining stock completely dry over high heat to build socarrat (crispy rice kind of stuck to the bottom).
4. Let paella rest for 6 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon and chopped parsley.