MAKE THE CAKES:
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 350˚.
3. Line a regular 12-cupcake pan with paper liners.
4. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt together thoroughly in a large bowl (or stand mixer bowl).
5. Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Add half of the water and beat for 20 seconds.
6. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the remaining water. Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour.
7. Divide it evenly among the lined cups.
8. Bake 18-22 minutes (rotating the pan from front to back half-way through the baking time), just until a toothpick inserted into a few of the cupcakes comes out clean.
9. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
10. Transfer the cupcakes from the pan to the rack and let them cool completely before frosting or filling.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
1. Have all ingredients at room temperature.
2. Place butter in a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment and mix until creamy – 30 seconds.
3. Add cream, salt, and vanilla – mix slowly to incorporate.
4. Make sure you have no lumps – if necessary, add a bit of the powdered sugar to help it combine.
5. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl for any butter stuck.
6. Once you have a smooth creamy mix – add the powdered sugar in two batches.
7. When all the sugar is in – scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl again. Add the pudding mix, beat to combine.
8. Give it one last mix for 2 minutes – check to make sure it’s not too stiff and not too gritty.
9. If necessary, add 1 or 2 tbsp fresh cream or milk to adjust consistency.
10. Frost the cupcakes in a big swirl on top, then refrigerate.
MAKE THE MAGIC SHELL:
1. In a wide mouth mason jar or microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in 30-second bursts.
2. Mix until smooth; generally, it takes no more than a minute. You may also use a double boiler.
3. Add the salt, cocoa powder, and vanilla, then mix.
4. Spoon warm magic shell over cold, frosted cupcakes, or dip cupcakes in a glass full of magi shell. Let drip on wire rack.