Ingredients for Broccoli/Ricotta Filling
- 1 crown of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, whisked
Ingredients for Jeanine's Tomato Sauce
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cans whole tomatoes (organic or san marzano)
- 1/2 cup basil, torn
- water (just enough to cover)
- sea salt and black pepper
Ingredients for Filling
1. Steam broccoli until al dente (soft with crunch); strain and cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together broccoli, ricotta, mozzarella and whisked egg.
3. Add filling to your pizza dough and follow Stromboli baking instructions.
Ingredients for Sauce
1. Sauté onion, carrots and celery on medium heat in a saucepan for 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Deglaze with red wine (stirring).
4. "Crush" tomatoes (with your hands or tongs) and add to sauce pan.
5. Add just enough water to cover all ingredients.
6. Simmer for 2-4 hours.
7. Add basil at the end and s&p to taste.
NOTE: We chose to use fresh, store-bought pizza dough
1. Put the dough on the counter with dusting of flour and roll out to 1/4 inch thick (you want it like a rectangle).
2. Add filling all around, from edge to edge.
3. Next, fold 1/3 of your Stromboli from outside to middle, then fold the other side, outside to middle.
4. Brush with olive oil.
5. Cut Olive/Mushroom/Spinach Stromboli into 2 inch slices. Do NOT cut Broccoli/Ricotta.
6. Place on an oiled baking sheet
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 11 minutes, turn the tray and bake another 12 minutes (some ovens are hotter than others so check at 10 minutes. (You’ll know when it’s done! It will be a nice golden brown.)