Ingredients for Sandwich
- 16 slices buttermilk bread (white is fine too)
- 12 tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened to room temperature 12 tbsp mayonnaise
- 8 cups of your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe
- 4 yellow onions, sliced into 1⁄4 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (for caramelized onions) 4 cups of pulled pork
- 2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 24 slices Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. In a mixer, put 12 tablespoons each of butter and mayonnaise and beat with the paddle attachment until well mixed. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all butter as it may stick to the bowl.
Mac and Cheese “singles”
2. Prepare your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. When finished, spread evenly into a greased sheet pan or casserole dish to a thickness of about 3⁄4 inch. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator. Once chilled, cut the macaroni and cheese into squares that are slightly smaller than the diameter of your bread.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a heavy bottomed sauté pan. Add sliced onions and cook over a medium heat stirring frequently until onions have caramelized. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. This should take up to 30 minutes. Slow and low!
4. Heat up BBQ sauce and add pulled pork. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
5. Generously butter one side of each slice of bread with the butter/mayo mixture. Be sure to butter to the very edges! On unbuttered side, lay one slice of cheddar cheese. On top of the cheese, lay one “single” of chilled macaroni and cheese and top with one slice of cheddar cheese. Then add 1⁄2 cup BBQ pork mixture and top with 1⁄4 cup caramelized onions. Finally cover the pork with one slice of cheddar cheese and top with slice of bread, buttered side out.
6. Heat griddle to about 350°F. Place all sandwiches on griddle and allow to cook SLOWLY. If your heat is too high it will burn the bread and the inside will not be hot.
7. Once golden brown, gently flip and repeat until cheese is melted and hot.
8. IF the bread browns prior to the inside being hot, place pan with sandwiches in oven at 450 degrees to allow to finish.
Cooking tip: Use a bacon press on top of your sandwiches to help speed up the process and promote even browning!