Ingredients for Pie Filling
- 1 recipe Fabio’s Savory Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- 15 medium green sour apples
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1⁄4 cup superfine brown sugar (regular brown sugar is fine if you can’t find it)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup grated grana padano cheese
- 2 egg yolks, beaten with 3 tablespoons water
Ingredients for Savory Pie Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into tiny cubes
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
Directions for Pie Filling
1) Preheat the oven to 450 F
2) On a lightly floured work surface, work the dough in 2 separate balls and roll until wide enough to be able to cut a circle from each round about 12 inches in diameter.
3) Place one round in the bottom of a 9 or 10 inch springform pan; the edges will come up the sides and that’s ok. Refrigerate the dough-lined pan, and the other dough circle for at least 15 minutes.
4) Peel and core the apples and cut them into 1⁄4 inch thick slices. Toss them with the lime juice.
5) In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and nutmeg.
6) Add the mixture to the apples and mix well, making sure that all the dry ingredients are absorbed by the lime juice. Let rest for 15 minutes.
7) Put the apple filling into the cake pan and flatten it with our hand a bit. Sprinkle the butter, cheddar cheese, and grana padano on top of the apples and top with the other circle of dough, tucking it in to form a kind of dough package around the apples.
8) Using a paring a knife, cut several steam vents on top of dough. Lightly brush surface with egg wash.
9) Bake the pie for about 15-20 minutes until the top crust starts to get lightly browned.
10) Reduce the over to 350F, rotate the pie, and continue baking until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling, about 1 1⁄4 hours.
11) Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving, sprinkled with more grana padano if desired.
Directions for Pie Dough
1) Combine the flour, salt, nutmeg, and butter in a food processor and pulse together until the mixture has the consistency of wet sand. Drizzle in the water until a ball of dough forms.
2) Take out the dough, pressing any loose bits onto the ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page