- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp. brown or light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. sherry
- 1 ½ tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
- 4 pounds baby back ribs
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 scallions thinly sliced lengthwise
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Layer aluminum foil into large, shallow ovenproof dish in a way that it overlaps, and can later be used to cover the dish.
2. Combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sesame oil in a blender and and make a sauce. In a bowl combine the sauce with the hoisin sauce, brown sugar, sherry, five-spice-powder. Reserve ¼ cup of the mixture for the glaze later on.
3. Place the ribs on the aluminum foil lined pan and brush the ribs with the mixture, Turn them over, meat side down. Brush the ribs with the rest of the mixture. Cover the pan tightly with the overlapping aluminum foil and bake for 3 hours.
4. Carefully remove the aluminum foil and let them cool for 15 minutes. In the meantime, combine the leftover mixture with the honey and the chili flakes and bring them to a simmer in a small pot. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Place the ribs on a flat baking sheet and glaze them with the honey mixture. Set the temperature on the oven to broil and broil the ribs uncovered for about 5 minutes. Top with the scallions if desired and serve with rice or potatoes.