Ingredients for dish:
- 12 oz smoked guanciale
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 36 oz cooked pasta (6 oz per dish)
- Pasta water (as needed)
- 10 turns freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ Cup pecorino romano, loosely packed (per serving)
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 eggs, sunny side up
- ¼ Cup Italian parsley, roughly chopped
Ingredients for Pasta:
- 13.8 oz 00 hard white flour
- 2-3 turns fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 9.6 oz of ricotta cheese
Directions for Pasta:
- In the mixer with the dough hook, place the flour, salt and pepper and mix on medium speed
- Add the ricotta cheese and blend well
- Add the egg, while mixing
- Mix until a dough forms
- Remove from the bowl and place the dough on a clean work surface
- Knead until the dough is smooth and immediately cover with a damp towel to avoid drying out
Directions for the Carbonara:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the fresh pasta for 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta well, reserving 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water to use in the sauce if you wish.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium flame. Add the guanciale and saute for about 3 minutes, until crisp and the fat is rendered.
- Toss the garlic into the fat and saute for less than 1 minute to soften.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss for 2 minutes to coat the strands in the guanciale fat.
- Beat the eggs and pecorino together in a mixing bowl, stirring well to prevent lumps.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta, whisking quickly until the eggs thicken, but do not scramble (this is done off the heat to ensure this does not happen.)
- Thin out the sauce with a bit of the reserved pasta water, until it reaches desired consistency.
- Season with several turns of freshly ground black pepper and taste for salt.
- Mound the pasta into warm serving bowls and garnish with pecorino and chopped parsley
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.