Chef and Food Network Star finalist David Rose makes this mouth-watering combination.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN:
- 3 chicken thighs and 3 chicken legs
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 2 teaspoon sugar
CHEDDAR CHIVE WAFFLE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 chives, finely minced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), melted
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Season chicken liberally with kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika.
- Place chicken in medium bowl and pour buttermilk over chicken.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and marinate in fridge overnight.
- Add 1/2 cup canola oil to cast iron skillet and bring to medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk, and generously coat chicken on both sides with chicken dredge one piece at a time.
- Shallow fry chicken 8 to 10 mins on each side until golden brown and internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Set chicken aside on wire rack, to keep chicken crispy and drain oil.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, set aside.
- Add bourbon, and sugar in sauce pan, on medium high heat.
- Whisk sugar into bourbon.
- Once sugar is dissolved in bourbon, add maple syrup, and bring to a boil, the simmer.
- Remove bourbon syrup and set aside.
Cheddar Chive Waffle:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, milk, melted butter, and fold in cheese and chives lastly.
- Add milk mixture into flour mixture, and mix together with a spatula, until well incorporated.
- Heat Belgian waffle iron to medium heat.
- Fill waffle iron with batter, being careful not to overfill, close the lid and cook waffle until steam stops, golden brown and cooked thru.
- Place finished waffles on wire rack in oven, to keep crispy and warm.
You may also like these recipes: