Ingredients for Garlic Halloumi Skewers
- 1/2 pound halloumi cheese, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes, about 16 pieces
- 1/3 pound small new potatoes, cut in quarters and boiled until tender
- Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pitted mixed olives
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Ingredients for Garlickly White Bean Dip
- Two 15 ounce cans cannellini beans
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
Directions for Skewers
1. In a large bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, herbs, red pepper flakes, and olives and season with salt and pepper, to tastes. Add the cheese and potatoes and toss until completely coated. Cover and put in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
3. Soak wooden skewers in water to prevent them from burning. Skewer 1 piece of cheese then a potato followed by another piece of cheese on each skewer. Put the skewers on a well-oiled grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove the skewers from the grill to a serving platter and serve with a drizzle of the marinade.
Directions for White Bean Dip
Drain and rinse two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans; set aside 1/2 cup for garnish. Puree the remaining beans in a food processor with 1 minced garlic clove, the juice of 1 lemon, and salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil with the motor running, then transfer the dip to a bowl. Toss the reserved beans with 1 diced roasted red pepper, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon each chopped parsley and basil, and salt and pepper. Spoon over the dip and serve with your favorite homemade pita chips.