Directions for Cookies
1. Into a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed,
beat butter and sugar for about 1½ minutes, or until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla until
well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. Turn the mixer speed to low and carefully add the flour mixture a little at a time,
occasionally stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once all the flour has been
incorporated, the dough should form a ball around the mixing attachment and feel soft but
4. Wrap the dough ball in a piece of plastic wrap and press down to form a 1-inch-thick disk.
Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before rolling or store for up to 7 days tightly wrapped.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured flat work surface to about ¼-inch thickness, using
additional flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Use a cookie cutter to create desired shape,
and carefully transfer with a cookie spatula to a nonstick baking sheet, placing the cookies
about ¾ inch apart.
7. Bake one sheet at a time in the middle of the oven until puffy, about 7-8 minutes. Allow the
cookies to rest for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool
8. Repeat with the gathered scraps and remaining disk until all the dough has been used.
Directions for Buttercream Frosting
1. Combine the margarine and Crisco in the bowl of an electric mixer; using a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add half of the confectioners’ sugar and continue beating on low speed for an additional 2 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the remaining confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until the frosting is creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. Add any food coloring at this time, if using, and beat on low speed until light and fluffy.
3. Use immediately or store in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 30 days.