Ingredients for Braised Short Ribs
- 2 lbs bone in short ribs, cut
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 2 celery stalk trimmed and cut into 2" chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 fresh rosemary stem, washed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 /2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into 2" cubes
- 1/4 lb salted butter
- 1/2-1 cup whole milk
- fresh Italian parsley, rinsed, dried and roughly chopped
Directions for Braised Short Ribs:
1. Preheat oven to 325. In a large heavy bottom stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil until smoking, then reduce flame.
2. Mix the flour with the salt and pepper and coat short ribs well. Place short ribs into hot oil (carefully!!!) and brown all sides of short rib to golden brown.
3. After all pieces are well browned, place them into a deep oven proof pan or the dutch oven.
4. Add stock, red wine, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, rosemary stem and bay leaves, and make sure the meat is almost completely covered.
5. Cover the pot with a well fitting lid or really snug aluminum foil and place it in the center of the oven and braise the meat for 4- 6 hours, or more. My preference is for the meat to literally fall off the bone, I want my beef to be like butter!
6. Adjust seasoning and serve over mashed potatoes with horseradish cream.
Directions for Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes:
1. Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 15-20 minutes until fork tender, drain, return it to the pot, and add butter, salt and pepper, blend, slowly add milk and mix until the texture you like. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Directions for Horseradish Cream:
1. Mix mascarpone with mayonnaise and horseradish (feel free to add more of less depending on your personal taste) and salt and pepper to taste, cover and refrigerate.