DIrections for Chicken
1 whole chicken
The best thing to do is buy a chicken at the store that is out of the wrapper. Dry. Butcher counter chicken -- so they never have added moisture. (I am a huge Mary’s chicken fan from Pitman farms). This makes them more flavorful and better for crispy chicken skin.
Dry rub the chicken when you get home and let sit overnight uncovered to let the skin and spices dry and become one happy flavor!
Place the chicken on top of the beer can, and let come up to room temp. Room temp beer is best and yes, must be a can and not a bottle. Drink some of the beer so it is not full. Maybe half. This is the most important step, as cooking and drinking are a social exercise and you need to practice often to get it right. You can cook on a grill at 350 indirect heat. Or use an oven at home. Once the chicken is on the can, place inside brownie pan and bake in oven 375 for about 40 min-1 hour depending on the oven. Poke with an instant thermometer, and cook until the inside is 160-165. Poke in a couple of areas, and be sure to poke a bone to make sure it is fully cooked. Remove carefully from oven and let sit for 20 min. After 20 minutes, remove from can and carve chicken! Serve with White bbq sauce slathered on top! My favorite is to shred the left overs and the next day make a loaded baked potato with the chicken, scallions, bacon, cheese, white BBQ sauce and roasted jalepenos!
Option: serve with Pickled Watermelon Salad
Directions for Dry BBQ Rub
1. Combine all ingredients and mix.
TIP: Dry rub can also be used for ribs, pork shoulder, brisket, venison, elk , etc.)
Directions for the White BBQ
1. Smash peppercorns using a pan to make sure there are no whole kernels. Bigger the better.
2. Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, and shake until combined.
3. Check the taste and adjust if necessary. This sauce is kind of sour. If too sour, add some sugar.
4. If not sour enough, add some vinegar.
Directions for Pickled Watermelon
1. Dice or cube the watermelon, preserving the rind. Ensure that you first peel off the green layer, then peel off the white pith. Make sure there is only white and not watermelon. Julienne the white part into strips. Toss all the white pith in the vinaigrette.
2. To plate, add shaved fennel, cubed watermelon, wedged tomato, cucumbers and dress with the dressing from the pith. Add rind as garnish, along with cilantro and feta cheese.
Directions to White Balsamic/Lemon Vinegar Dressing
1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whisk or stir to combine. The dressing will not emulsify. Add peel without any green into the bowl and let sit overnight