- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/3 cup Kecap Manis
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 4 (4 oz.) pieces salmon
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and slice into ¼” pieces
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup snap peas, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup edamame, shelled
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup sesame soy sauce (recipe to follow)
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice, hot
- 1 tsp. mixed black and white sesame seeds
- ¼ medium green papaya, julienned
- Pea shoots, for garnish
Ingredients for the Sweet Sesame Soy Sauce
- 6 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 5 ½ Tbsp. Sweet chili sauce
- 1 1/ 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¾ Tbsp sesame oil
- ¾ Tbsp. sambal oelek
- ½ Tbsp. honey
- ½ Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- ½ Tbsp. white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
Yield 4 servings
For the marinade:
1. Mix the water and sugar into small pot and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
2. Once the mixture has cooled, whisk in the Kecap Manis, cayenne and cinnamon.
For the Salmon:
1. Place the salmon fillets into shallow bowl. Pour the marinade over the salmon. Reserve ¼ cup for use later. Cover and let it marinade in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Oil a grill or grill pan. Season the marinated salmon with salt and pepper. Cook the salmon for 1 ½ to 2 minutes on each side. Cooking time varies depending on thickness of the salmon. When the salmon is fully cooked, delicately remove the skin and brush with more marinade. Set aside.
3. In a wok or large sauté pan, add the vegetable oil and heat over medium heat. When the oil just begins to smoke carefully- add the onion, red and green bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, snap peas and mushrooms. Sauté for 1 -2 minutes. You want the vegetables to still have some bite.
4. Remove the vegetables from the heat. Add the edamame and sweet soy sauce and toss. Do not put it back on the heat.
1. Place 1 cup of rice in a bowl. Pour ¼ amount of the vegetables and sauce over the hot rice. Place some papaya into the bowl.
2. Arrange the salmon over the vegetables. Garnish with black and white sesame seeds and pea shoots.
FOR SWEET SESAME SOY SAUCE:
Yield 4 servings
1. Whisk all of the ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to use.