Danielle Kartes of Rustic Joyful Food is making a perfect New Year's dish.
Baked Chiles Rellenos
- 4-5 poblano peppers, blistered, skins removed (see below)
- 8 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Savory Chiles Rellenos - Home & Family
- Place poblano peppers on a baking sheet and turn the broiler to high. Broil each side of the pepper for 2-3 minutes, until the skins are blistered and black.
- Remove peppers; put them in a paper bag; and allow them to sit for 5-7 minutes, until the peppers are cool enough to handle. (The paper bag allows the skins to steam and separate from the flesh of pepper.)) Remove skins and seeds.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, flour, cream, salt, and pepper. To assemble the casserole, butter a 9-by-13 glass baking dish, and add one-third of the egg mixture, one-third of the peppers, and one-third of the cheeses. Do this twice more, and finish with cheese. To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees, and remove casserole from the fridge at least 10-15 minutes before baking. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, until eggs are set and the cheese is melted.