Chef Billy Oliva is making this classic dessert with a homemade walnut sponge and apricot compote.
- 8 oz. Egg Yolks
- 5 oz. Sugar
- 8 oz. Egg Whites
- 6 oz. Sifted All Purpose Flour
- 5 oz. Chopped Walnuts
- 1 lb. dried apricots (roughly chopped )
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 vanilla pod split lengthwise
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- 1 ½ cups water
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1.5 pints milk
- 1.5 pints heavy cream
- 12oz. sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- 6oz. puree banana
- 1 lb. Sugar
- 4 oz. Water
- 8 oz. Egg whites
Directions for Walnut Sponge
- Combine egg yolks with 2oz. sugar in bowl of electric mixer. Beat at medium speed until thick and light in color.
- In another bowl beat egg whites with remaining sugar to medium peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold sifted flour and chopped walnuts into egg mixture.
- Spread batter on parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees
- For 10-15 minutes.
- When cooled completely cut into 3inch rounds and set aside.
Directions for Apricot Compote
- Put all compote ingredients into heavy bottom pan and bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer till apricots are cooked and liquid forms a syrup.
Directions for Banana Ice Cream
- Place milk, cream half the sugar and vanilla bean in saucepan and bring mixture to boiling point.
- Blend egg yolks with remaining sugar.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture.
- Add banana puree and heat slowly till mixture thickens to coat back of spoon.
- Stain mixture and allow to cool in ice bath- refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare mixture in ice cream machine – reserve in freezer till assembly.
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan and bring mixture to 240 degrees.
- Put egg whites in bowl of mixer and start to beat when sugar reaches 230 degrees – whip egg whites to soft peaks.
- Start to add sugar syrup to egg whites in steady stream and continue beating to all sugar syrup has been incorporated into mixture.
- Continue beating till mixture has smooth consistency and firm peaks.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place walnut cake rounds on a serving plate.
- Top walnut cake rounds with apricot compote.
- Scoop a generous portion of Banana ice cream onto apricot compote.
- Place Italian Meringue in pastry bag and completely cover the ice cream, walnut cake and compote with meringue.
- Place the dessert on rotating cake stand. Spin the stand slowly while using cooking torch to slightly brown and crisp the meringue.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 4 minutes to soften ice cream.
Get more information about this episode >>