- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate baking bars
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 pinches of salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting ramekins
- 8 strips of bacon
- 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- 8 ounces chocolate sauce
- 8 ounces caramel salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in microwave, and then brush melted butter on the inside of four 8-ounce ramekins.
3. Lightly coat ramekins with flour, making sure to tap out the excess flour. Set aside on a baking sheet until ready to fill.
4. In a double boiler, melt 4 ounces butter with chocolate baking bars. Remove from heat when nearly melted and whisk together to combine, until a smooth mixture remains.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and pinch of salt at high speed for about 3 minutes (until thickened and pale).
6. Quickly fold chocolate into the egg mixture. Fold in flour until combined into smooth batter.
7. Divide batter evenly into the prepared ramekins and bake on a sheet tray for 9 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm and the tops are just slightly cracked. Cakes should still be soft and slightly jiggly when removed from oven.
8. While cakes are baking, place 8 pieces of bacon on medium-high skillet and cook 1-2 minutes on each side.
9. Chop 4 pieces of bacon into small bits, and reserve other 4 whole strips of bacon for garnish.
10. Let the cakes cool in ramekins for 1 minute before removing. Run a knife or small spatula along the inside of the ramekin to release the cake.
11. Place plate upside down on top of the ramekin, and carefully turn over. Let stand for 10 seconds and shake very lightly to unmold onto the plate.
12. Top with generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, chopped bacon bits, chocolate sauce, and caramel. Stand additional strip of bacon upright, leaning against lava cake, and drizzle heavily with more caramel. Sprinkle bacon strip with salt and enjoy immediately.