- 12 ounces bacon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
Yield: Serves 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40–45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
3. In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and 3 of the thyme sprigs and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft and starting to caramelize. Turn off the heat and set aside; remove and discard the thyme.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream. Set aside.
5. Spread the shallots over the bottom of the pie shell.
6. Add half the bacon and half the cheddar cheese over the shallots.
7. Pour the egg mixture over the bacon and cheese. Sprinkle with the nutmeg and cayenne.
8. Bake for 20 minutes.
9. Spread the remaining bacon and cheddar cheese over the top of the quiche.
10. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, until the quiche is set and golden.
11. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with a sprig of thyme, if desired, and serve.