Ingredients for Crab Cakes
- 1 birds eye red chili
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ½ small onion
- A handful of cilantro, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 lb fresh crab meat (or premium canned)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Juice 1 lime or lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ oz arugula leaves
Ingredients for Spicy Avocado Dip
- 1 ripe avocado flesh
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
Directions for Crab Cakes
1. Add to a food processor the chili, garlic, onion, cilantro, almond flour, egg and egg white -- and blend until smooth. Transfer into a large bowl and add the crabmeat, sesame oil, and lime or lemon juice. (The reason I do not place all the ingredients into the blender stops the mix from being pureed. This way you’ll taste the wonderful flakes of crab). Add the remaining crab meat and stir into the mixture.
2. Divide the mixture into four portions. On a clean surface, carefully shape into four cakes about 1 inch thick. Transfer to a plate, cover, and chill for 30 minutes (or up to a day).
3. Heat the olive oil on high heat in a large, nonstick pan and cook the crab cakes 1-3 minutes on each side
Directions for Avocado Dip
1. Place everything in a mini food processor and pulse until smooth.
2. Prepare this right before serving as the avocado can turn brown.
Tip: You can place in a serving bowl and squeeze a little more lemon juice over the top and cover with cling film to stop the dip changing color