Ingredients for Apple Pie Filling
- 6 cups apples; sliced and cut into small pieces; preferably a sturdy tart apple like a granny smith or something similar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
Ingrdients for Pie Dough
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes (organic is best)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Ingrdients for Pie Pops
- pie dough
- pie filling
- 1 egg
- coarse sugar for sprinkling over the top; regular sugar can also be used
- lollipop sticks
Directions for Apple Pie Filling
1) Place the apples in a large bowl and mix with the spice, salt, sugar, zest, and lemon juice
2) Toss together until well combined
3) Place in a pot over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes until bubbly
4) In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of water
5) Pour into the apple mixture and cook for a few minutes until thickened and remove from heat to cool
Directions for Pie Dough
1) Measure out the flour into a food processor
2) Add in the cold cubes of butter
3) Process until crumbly. About pea size pieces are good. If you are using your hands make sure to work extra fast because your hands are warm and they will melt the butter
4) Combine vinegar, egg, and cold water.
5) Add the wet ingredients to flour mixture whole food processor is running. If you are using your hands you can pour with one hand and stir with the other.
6) Process only until dough forms a ball.
7)Separate dough in half. Using plastic wrap, flatten into two disks.
8) Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes… I recommend about an hour.
Directions for Pie Pops
1) Heat the oven to 375 degrees
2) Roll out the cold pie dough to about 1/4 inch thick, and use a 3 inch round cutter to cut out as many circles as you can; this should make about 12-14 pie pies
3) Whisk the egg with a bit of water
4) Use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash around the side of the pie circle
5) Scoop a small amount of filling to the center of the circle
6) Place the lollipop stick in the center of the circle, and then top with another 3 inch pie crust round
7) Use a fork to press the edges together making sure the stick is securely in the center of the mini pie
8) Brush more of the egg wash on the top of the mini pie and top with some sugar; repeat with the rest of the dough
10) Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
Download the Home & Family Fall Harvest Cookbook>>