Ingredients (Makes 1 1/4 cups)
- ¼ cup cumin seeds
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup fennel seeds
- ¼ cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2 pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and torn into small pieces
- 2 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and torn into small pieces
- ½ cup dried whole oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup Spanish paprika (pimento), preferably sweet or hot
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
Ingredients for Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups basmati long grain white rice, washed until water runs clear
- 2 1/4 cup water (or chicken broth)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- Zest of one lime
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, minced
Directions for Pork Tenderloin
1. Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat. Pour in the cumin, coriander, fennel, and mustard seeds along with the pieces of pasilla and ancho chiles. Toast, stirring constantly, until it’s very aromatic and just beings to smoke, about 3 minutes.
2. Dump the mixture onto a plate and let it cool to room temperature. Grind it to a fine powder in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder.
3. Put the powder in a large bowl and add the oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Stir them really well to combine.
4. Store the adobo in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag in a cool, dark place for up to a month.
Liberally apply olive oil to all of pork tenderloin and then sprinkle adobo on both sides of pork.
Cook on medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side. Slice and serve while warm.
Directions fro Rice
1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan on medium high heat. Add garlic and cook until it begins to soften. Remove from skillet.
2. Add the raw rice and stir to coat with the olive oil. Add water and salt.
3. Bring to a rolling boil, then cover and lower the heat to low to maintain a very low simmer.
4. Cook undisturbed for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Add lime juice to the zest and add to rice. Add fresh cilantro.
6. Fluff together with a fork.
7. Serve and enjoy!
Get more from Aaron Sanchez at WeAreCocina.com