- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 quarts peanut oil or similar, for frying
1. Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch round tip or snip a 1/2-inch hole in one corner of a large resealable plastic bag. Places piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan and draw 3” circles on it.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until well combined, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs until incorporated about 3 minutes. Beat in the milk and vanilla until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed. Reduce the mixer speed to low; gradually beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated (do not over-mix). Transfer the batter to the prepared pastry bag.
3. Using the circles as a guide, pipe the batter into 3-inch rings. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 min or as long as overnight.
4. Heat peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 340 degrees f. Cut the parchment around each doughnut, and place 2 doughnuts into the shortening paper side up. Peel off the parchment with tongs. Fry until golden brown, 90 seconds per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
5. Glaze and serve warm.