Try these simple tips to light your home for Christmas.
Tips for Outdoor Christmas Lighting
Outdoor Lighting Tips:
- Keep your design simple. Too many lights and you've got the Griswold Family Christmas.
- Always hang your lights early in the season before it gets cold and wet.
- Determine the lighting design plan before you go to the store and before you hang.
- Decide what you need - bulbs, spot lights, icicles, ribbon, ornaments, roof clips, ladder, bucket, outdoor timer, extension cords.
- Measure the areas where lights will be hung and how many strings of lights and of what length - consider shrubs, windows, trees, and doors.
- Take out what you have and test them before you hang them. Organize lights according to color and type to see what you have and what you need to get.
- When buying lights, opt for shorter strings because they are easier to store, handle, and replace. They and less expensive, too!
- Check chord color - they do come in different colors, too.
- They new LED lights go a long way; they are energy efficient and last for years.
- Popular spacing is between 12" and 15", so you can clearly see from the street.
- Determine where your power supply is and calculate wattage - make sure the electrical set up of your house can support your lighting design.
- Don't plug too many strings into one outlet source.