- 4-ounce Boston Round glass bottle (or an old glass bottle you may have)
- 2 long vanilla pods
- 4-ounces of Vodka or *food grade glycerin
- A funnel
- A sharp pairing knife
- *Food grade vegetable glycerin can be found at most health food stores, or online: vitaminshoppe.com
- Use the pairing knife to split open the vanilla pods. Push them into the bottle. If they are too long for the bottle, cut them in half.
- Fill the bottle up with the glycerin or alcohol using a funnel.
- Screw on the cap and leave in a dark cabinet for at least 1 month. Shake the bottle well at least once a week.
- After a month you can remove the fruit rinds/pods etc by straining off the extract and then pouring it back into the bottle, or if you want a stronger extract, leave it for another couple of weeks.
- The shelf life is 1 year for the glycerin, and 3 years for the alcohol-based extracts.
Flavored Extracts with Sophie Uliano