Shirley Bovshow shares how to organically reduce grass to create a beautiful lawn of healthy soil perfect for planting.
- First step - cut the lawn really short.
- Place cardboard on the area - of grass, that you want to remove.
- Put two or three layers of cardboard., staggering the ends. Secure cardboard with brick or pins because you don’t want air getting in.
- Add another layer of miscellaneous compostable items like newspaper (this will add carbon).
- Then gently water it.
- Next layer is - wood chips and some topsoil or compost (big layer like 6 inches).
- Topsoil is different than potting soil. It’s basically garden soil. Soil and compost actually will “heat up” this pile and that’s when the “cooking” begins!
- Come Spring, don’t remove it, just add some compost.
- If you smother your lawn in the Summer (which is the best time to do it) it takes 3 months to 6 months to be ready.