Shirley Bovshow answers your Fall harvest gardening questions.
Vegetable gardening has become extremely popular and Shirley shares tips on how to start and maintain yours today.
- Let your pepper mature (go past its prime)
- Slice open the pepper and scoop out the seeds
- Place seeds on a paper towel and let dry for 2-3 days
- Store seeds in canister or envelope
- Make sure to store in a cool, dry place
Squash & Pumpkin
- Open your squash or pumpkin and remove the seeds
- Place seeds under running water to remove stringy material/membrane
- Let dry
- Store in canister or envelope
Tomato Sunlight Requirements:
- Tomatoes need a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight (8hrs would be better)
- The larger the tomato the more sun you’ll need.
- Cherry tomatoes will require less sun than beefsteak tomatoes (minimum is still 6 hours of sunlight)
- Check with your local garden center and to select cover crops that are appropriate for your climate
- Clean out summer garden
- Loosen the soil with a rake
- Level it out
- Sprinkle seeds (follow instructions on the seed packet)
- Till in seeds with a rake
- Let cover crops grow through winter into spring
- As it starts to flower, chop it down and let it decay on the soil