Jeanette Pavini breaks it down for you.
The average American moves 11.7* times in their lifetime and
a lot of those moves happen in the summertime. Learn about ways you can save money and protect your rights on your next move. (*2007 US census report on Migration/Geographic Mobility)
Should You Hire Professional Movers?
DIY: Rent a truck, load it, drive it
- Check for coupon codes like 20% off from budget rental
- Factor in fuel costs, liability coverage, tolls, etc when comparing price.
- ($32 + 0.79/mile + fuel + insurance) local
- $1900 per trip to springfield, Il + fuel ($1400) + motel and food + insurance (est. $4000+)
Full-service move: pack, load, drive, unload – most expensive options
- Burbank to Illinois: $8500 - $9500 (5-7 days)
- You pack, they drive: best compromise of cost and convenience (for long distance nationwide moving.
How it works: Empty moving trailer deliver to home / 3 business days to load /
trailer picked up and moved to new locaiton / 3 business days to unload
Example of move from Burbank to Springfield, Illinois:
There are regulation when it comes to moving. What rights do consumers have?
- Interstate (state to state) governed by federal motor carrier safety administration (department of transportation)
- Intrastate (within a state) moves regulated by state:
State-level enforcement resources:
State Movers Associations:
- When hiring movers, get several written estimates
- Some combo of weight/time/distance will
- Know the difference between a binding and
- Non-binding estimate: law for interstate moves requires movers to still deliver the goods
for no more than 10% above the price of the initial estimate
- Ask for an estimate based off of an on-site
inspection (for interstate moves they are required to provide if within 50-mile
radius of business)
More info at protectyourmove.gov
Where should you buy moving supplies?
- It is almost always gong to be less expensive when you buy moving supplies on your own as opposed to using a moving company’s
- Truck rental centers
- 100% buy back of any unused u—haul box with
receipt at any u-haul center nationwide
- Bulk discount: ex 3.0 cu/ft box = $1.35/box but
is $1.16/box when you buy 20+ (14% savings)
- Home improvement store had competitive pricing
but office supply prices were a lot higher
Example: Same size box was $1.22 at home improvement store
/ $2.12 - $2.83 at office supply.
Return to Episode Guide >>
Follow Jeanette on Twitter @JeanettePavini