Maria Provenzano is making our room pop with super cool, merry and bright wall decor.
Pop Up Wall Art
POP UP WALL ART MATERIALS:
- Foam core
- Printed phrase
- Black card stock
- Spray adhesive
- 1” craft thread spools
- White paint
- 1/4” craft plywood
- X-acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Bottle brush trees
- Fake snow
- 12 lb. Command strips
- Pencil or marker
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Jigsaw or circular saw
POP UP WALL ART DIRECTIONS:
- Paint the craft spools white, set aside to dry.
- Cut the craft wood pieces for the six wooden boxes. To create each box, you need to cut two 30” lengths and two 10” lengths and two extra 10” as the center divider for the vertical boxes. Twelve 30” and fourteen 10” pieces altogether. PRO TIP: You can use an x-acto knife and ruler on a cutting mat, jigsaw or circular saw to cut the craft wood.
- Cut six pieces of foam core to 10 1/2” x 30” with an x-acto knife and metal ruler.
- Build out the box shape. Sandwich a 10” piece in-between each end of two 30” pieces to create a box shape. Secure with hot glue.
- Add the backing to the boxes. Hot glue one short side down to the back of the box, and then the other on the opposite end. Place a bead of hot glue along the long edges on the inside of the box where the foam core and wood meet to secure the long sides. Repeat to glue all six boxes.
- Attach the center divider into two of the boxes, glue to secure.
- Create the double length boxes. Take the other four boxes and glue the short end of two together, then the other two so that you have two sets of two glued together.
- Attach the top and side sections to the wall with command strips on each corner of the backside of the boxes, starting with the top. Hang the side sections underneath vertically.
- The size of the space between the boxes is the measurement of your foam core background for the sign.
- Cut the foam core to size.
- Create the sign. Print two copies of the desired phrase. Set aside the second print to use later, spray adhesive the phrase to foam core and cut out using an x-acto knife.
- Once the letters are cut, use apply spray adhesive to the front and attach them face-down to black card stock. Cut to edge of the letter with an x-acto knife.
- Glue the spools to the back of the letters with even spacing so the entire letter floats.
- Place a second print of the phrase down onto the foam core sign background and punch through with a pencil where there is a spool on each letter. So that you know where to place glue for the spools.
- Add glue to where there are pencil holes and place the letters.
- Attach the sign to the wall with command strips.
- Hang the last box underneath using command strips.
- Place the bottle brush trees, once you like the placement, glue in place with hot glue. PRO TIP: Use craft spools as levels for trees if desired.
- Add fake snow and enjoy!