TIPS TO ADDING MULCH:
• Add a layer of landscape fabric.
• Secure the fabric with pins.
• Add 2”-3" inch layer of mulch.
• Mulch reduces weed growth, regulates soil temperatures, and conserves soil moisture levels! Depending on the mulch material, it can also improve the soil quality and deter pests!
GORILLA HAIR MULCH:
• Gorilla hair is great for fruit like strawberries.
• The fine redwood bark fibers help block sunlight and weed growth.
• The mulch lifts the strawberry off the soil and helps prevent from rotting.
• Gorilla hair is great on hillsides because it stays in place.
HAZELNUT SHELL MULCH:
• Recycled hazelnut shells are eco-friendly and have a clean aesthetic look.
• The sharp edges of the shells help keep snails and slugs away.
• The shells help block sunlight and weed growth.
REDWOOD BARK MULCH:
• Redwood bark improves the soils texture.
• As the bark decomposes, it contributes to the acidic ph of the soil which a lot of plants, like azaleas, need.
• Improves the soil texture.
RUBBER MULCH SHEET
• Rubber mulch is made from recycled rubber tires.
• Low maintenance.
• It works best for permanent, shrubs and hedges like viburnum, boxwoods, junipers...etc.
• Don’t use this mulch in your vegetable garden because the rubber fumes can affect the fruits and vegetables you consume.
Shirley Bovshow, Gardening Expert, FoodieGardener.com
Shirley Bovshow's EdenMakers