DIY Expert Luke Barr has a passion for pets and repurposing. He combines both to make a TV tray into a Cat Condo.
DIY Cat Condo
DIY CAT CONDO MATERIALS:
- 2 wooden tv trays
- White canvas
- Fabric scissors
- 1/2” screws
- 1 1/4” screws
- Drill bit for pilot holes
- Mending plates
- Sisal rope
- 1/4” plywood panel
- Circular saw
- Braided rope trim
- Cat toys
- Staple gun
- Cat bed
- Upholstery tacks or studs
- Wire snips
DIY CAT CONDO INSTRUCTIONS:
- Take the rectangular wooden leg stoppers off of the bottom of the tray and cut off the stabilizing strap. Keep both wooden stopper pieces and all screws. Discard strap. Repeat on second table.
- Place the trays tabletop together upside down, attach mending plates 4” inset from the edges to secure table tops together from the bottom using 1/2” screws.
- Take the legs from each table and line them up over the tabletops to create the apex of the triangle condo. Pre-drill holes and attach mending plates with 1 1/4” screws so that it goes through both legs. Repeat on the other side.
- Measure for your canvas. Measure from the top of the triangle to the outer edge of the tabletop, double that measurement for the length. For the width measure the legs across and add an inch for side hems.
- Hem edges with fabric-tac.
- Attach the fabric. Fold the end of the fabric under and use staple gun to staple the fabric into the tabletop, pull taut and repeat stapling on other side.
- Staple along the edges of the fabric on the legs to hold it in place.
- Cover the staples with upholstery tacks, studs or rope using hot glue. If using upholstery tacks, cut the pin off with wire snips.
- Create the scratching post. Cut down the 1/4” plywood panel to a good size to be centered between the legs. Wrap the sisal rope around it, attaching with hot glue as you go.
- Secure the scratching post to the tent. Cut out the fabric covering the support beam and screw through the post panel into the beam.
- Reattach the wooden leg stoppers with the original screws you saved on the outer edges of the tabletop to keep scratch post in place.
- Tie rope around the center support beam to hang cat toys off of to create the cat toy chandelier.
- Place toys and bed. Enjoy!