- Gel bleach pen
- Denim fabric, the darker the better
- Backing fabric for blanket like faux fur or plush fleece
- Sewing machine and thread
- Yardstick or another large ruler
- Fabric scissors
- Blow dryer
- Needle and thread
- White paint pen
- Quilting square
1. Cut each of the fabrics down to the desired size for your blanket with a minimum of ½” seam allowance accounted for.
2. Draw out the guidelines on the face of your denim in chalk using a ruler.
If you want keep the lines so that it looks like ruled paper, go over the chalk lines with a paint pen now or the bleach pen later.
PRO TIP: A quilting square can make this process faster and more accurate!
3. Write out your message in chalk.
4. Go over the message with the gel bleach pen and the guidelines now if desired.
5. Use a blow dryer to dry the gel.
PRO TIP: Not only does this prevent the gel from bleeding, it helps accelerate the process ensuring maximum color change.
6. Once the bleach is completely dry, scrape off all the hardened gel.
7. Wash the fabric with the message to remove the bleach.
8. Pin the fabric with the message and the backing fabric face to face.
9. Sew all around the edges except about a 10” opening.
10. Flip the blanket right side out and use an invisible or ladder stitch to close up the opening with a needle and thread.