Materials for Cleaning Silver
- A dish or bowl
- Aluminum foil
- Boiling water
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda for each cup of water
Directions How to Clean Diamonds
Drop your diamond into a shot glass full of hard clear alcohol like vodka and let it sit for several hours.
Directions How to Clean Silver
1. Line the bottom of a dish or bowl with aluminum foil.
2. Bring water to a boil.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda per cup of water.
4. Expect that the solution may bubble and froth a bit.
5. Place the piece of silver jewelry in the dish, making sure it's touching the aluminum foil. This is essential for the chemical reaction to occur.
6. Pour the solution of baking soda and boiling water into dish.
7. Let sit for two to 10 minutes, depending on the level of tarnish.
8. Allow it to dry.
Directions How to Clean Gold
Soak the gold in white vinegar for 10-15 minutes, and if need be, use a very soft brush (like a tooth brush) to rid the gold of any excess dirt.
Directions How to Clean Pearls
If your pearls are visibly stained, you can mix a solution of lukewarm water and mild soap, then dip a soft cleaning cloth and wipe the pearls clean. You do not want to soak the pearls as it may affect the very fine thread that connects them. Methods using chemicals or other harsh and abrasive cleaners are not recommended for soft stones like opals and pearls. Use soap and water only.
Get more information about this episode >>