Spring and summer are the best time to select the peony plant that you would like to grow in your garden. To save money, wait until fall so you can buy the bulb Vs plant. Peonies are perennials plants that can live up to 100 yrs. There are 3 types of peony plants: Herbacious, Tree, ITO.
Whether you plant a peony that you buy from Garden center or bulb in fall, during the first year, the peony has special needs:
- During first spring bloom, stake plant in order to keep stems from flopping over.
- Use a soft tie such as velcro or nylon.
- Plant in full sun.
- Feed them with a potassium rich fertilizer.
- Keep plant from drying out completely.
- For best long life growth, remove flower buds from plant first and second year, this will cause plant to establish its roots and store energy to give a prolific bloom the third year.
- Some plants can grow up to 100 flowers in its third year!