SUN-DRIED TOMATO PRESERVE
1. Cut the tomato slices a uniform size - 1/4" inch is good because the tomato will shrink once dry.
2. Place slices on the dehydrator rack and space tomatoes so they don't touch.
3. Cut small cherry tomatoes in half and place cut side down so the seeds and pulp don’t pool at bottom of tomato slice.
4. Put racks in dehydrator at 135 degrees and set your timer for up to 15 hours.
5. Tomatoes should feel crispy and dry, not moist and chewy.
6. Place whole, dried tomatoes in a tightly sealed glass jars or plastic freezer bags and put in cool dry cupboard to preserve for about 6 months.
7. Or, place them in the refrigerator to preserve for over 1 year.
DRIED TOMATO POWDER
1. Dried powdered tomatoes are a cook's best kept secret for adding flavor to recipes and to thicken soups and stews.
2. Place dried tomatoes in mixer and pulverize.
3. Replace a 6 oz can of tomato paste by mixing 1/4 c of tomato powder with 1/4 cup hot water and salt to taste!
Get more from Shirley at EdenMakers.com