Maria Provenzo shows us how to create a Faux Fireplace Mantle.
Kids, Christmas Decor
- Cardboard boxes
- Contact paper in white
- 3” x 5” cardstock cards in brick red
- 5-gallon paint sticks
- Foam craft sheets in red, orange and yellow
- X-acto knife
- Packing tape
- Spray adhesive
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Black craft paper or foam core
- Double sided tape
- Logs real or faux
- Optional to create the chimney:
- Foam core
- X-acto knife
- Tape together two boxes for the sides of the mantel. Close up the top as well. The size of boxes you use for this will be dictated by the size you want to create for your space or what you have around already!
- Tape together two boxes for the top of the mantel. Leave the top open and un-taped on each.
- To create the top of the mantel, place two boxes side by side and cut two slits through the touching sides big enough for one stir stick to fit through each. Space them about 5-10 inches apart depending on your box size.
- Insert the 5-gallon stir sticks and attach packing tape to the bottom of the stir sticks with the sticky side facing upward. Fold the top flaps down and press the tape onto the bottom of the flap so you bond the stir sticks to the inside of the box. Tape the top of the box shut.
- Cover all the boxes with white contact paper.
- If you are building the chimney, do so now. Cut a wide front piece and two narrow side pieces out of foam core with an x-acto knife on a cutting mat. Use hot-glue to secure the sides to the front panel. The size of the chimney is up to you and what looks good on the size mantel you’re creating.
- Arrange the boxes for the side of the mantel and attach the top of the mantle to the two side boxes with hot glue in place. If you’ve created the chimney, secure that on top now as well.
- Place the bricks. Use spray adhesive to attach the cards on in a staggered horizontal pattern all over the mantel. PRO TIP: Do this with as many windows and doors open as possible on a covered work area.
- Cut pieces of black foam core or craft paper for the fireplace background and attach them to the wall with double-sided tape.
- Create the fire. Cut a large flame out of the yellow craft foam, a medium-sized flame out of the orange, and a small one out of the red. Glue together with the smaller flames on top in consecutive order.
- Glue the flame to the black fireplace backing.
- Place the logs in the fireplace.
- Decorate the mantle as desired and enjoy! PRO TIP: Do not place anything too heavy on this, even though it is structurally sound, it won’t hold too much weight.