Orly uses a deceptively simple painting technique to create a beautiful painted tree to deck your walls.
- Acrylic paint in various colors
- Spray paint in background color
- Thin paint brushes
- Small bowls or cups to mix paint in
- Optional: Copper wire lights
- Optional: Awl
- Optional: Duct or gaff tape
- Spray paint your canvases in desired background color. Allow to dry. *make sure to paint the edges as well so it looks clean from all sides. *
- Draw your tree shape on with chalk.
- Mix some water into your darkest color to make a wash.
- Begin dripping your paint in within the lines of your tree shape. Hold your paint brush and cup of paint over the tree shape so you don’t drip all over the canvas. Allow to dry a bit. *a few extra drips outside the lines won’t hurt. *
- Mix the dark wash into your lighter color to make a mid-tone. Drip on as much as desired. Allow to drip a bit.
- Drip on your lightest color.
- Drip on any accent colors you want to use as ornaments or details.
TO LIGHT THE TREE:
- Once all the paint is dry, take your awl and poke holes where you want the lights to be.
- Take your copper lights and fold the at light is and stick it through. Secure each light in place with tape as you go.
- Tape the control box in the back of the canvas.
- Turn the lights on.
- Wipe away any leftover chalk.
- Hang and enjoy!