Make a fuzzy fashion statement on our walls with Orly Shani’s textured yarn Christmas Tree.
DIY Yarn Tree
- Various kinds and thicknesses of yarn like
- Merino wool yarn
- Acrylic yarn
- Pom-pom yarn
- Fabric scissors
- Foam core
- X-Acto knife
- Cutting mat
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wooden star
- Craft wood base
- Cut out a triangular foam core base with X-Acto knife on a cutting mat to the desired size. You can make small tabletop sizes, or a large wall size.
- Cover the foam core base completely with yarn. A chunky yarn will be best for this. Braid the chunky merino wool, secure then ends with hot glue and adhere all over the base until you don’t see any of the foam core coming through.
- Create the feather and hanging fringe detail pieces. Cut a long piece of yarn for the “spine” and a series of pieces to knot on. Place the knotting pieces horizontally underneath the spine and tie knots around spine piece loosely. Slide the knots together and tighten each one. Trim the edges to your liking. PRO-TIP: If you want to use this as a feather accent trim to the shape of a feather.
- Create tassels if desired. Cut a bunch of strands of yarn to the same, fold them in half over a hanging strand, tie around the top fold to secure. Trim the bottom if desired. Repeat to create as many tassels as you want.
- Attach the yarn fringe, feathers and tassels as desired with hot glue. The fringe pieces are just the feather pieces you created folded in half and glued along the spine.
- Glue a wooden star on top if you’d like.
- If you’ve made the tabletop version, glue it to a craft wood base.
- Display and enjoy!