Maria helps us celebrate our love of candy canes with super cute yarn accessories.
DIY Yarn Candy Cane Accessories
DIY Yarn Candy Cane Accessories - Home & Family
- Pipe cleaners
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Wire snips
- Desired accessory hardware:
- Earring hooks
- Pin backs
- Jump rings
- Jewelry pliers
- Jewelry wire 20 gauge
- Twist together the pipe cleaners and cut to length. The larger the candy cane you want to make in size, the more pipe cleaners you should bundle. If you want to create earrings or a necklace pendant, slide the jump ring onto a pipe cleaner or two in the bundle, then twist. PRO TIP: If you don’t have pipe cleaners you can weave some wire into a piece of rope as well.
- Begin to add the yarn around the pipe cleaners. Add some hot glue at the top, allow it to cool. Set the end of the yarn into the glue.
- Wrap the yarn tightly around the pipe cleaners so that you can’t see them show through, add a dot of hot glue every inch or so to secure. Add the tassel at the bottom before you wind to the very end so you can cover the top of it. PRO TIP: Using a color of yarn that matches the pipe cleaners will help disguise the pipe cleaners in case they peek through in some spots.
- Finish winding around the bottom of the pipe cleaners and tassel, secure with hot glue.
- Wrap a contrasting color of yarn, secure with dots of hot glue as you go.
- Create the hook of the candy cane. Bend the top downward.
- Add whatever accessory hardware that is desired, wear and enjoy!