1. First drill all the holes needed with your 1/8” bit. Make six holes in the outermost edge of the big craft plaque that are spaced evenly. For the placement of the chimes, drill holes spaced evenly apart in a circle inset a few inches from the edge.
PRO TIP: The cording and lacing are different thicknesses, so the holes need to be different sizes, if you are using all the same type of cording you don’t need multiple bit sizes.
2. Next, drill all the holes needed with the 1/4" drill bit. Drill a hole through the center of the large plaque. If you are using a small craft plaque for the second tier, not a wooden wheel, drill a hole through the center of that as well.
3. String the waxed jewelry cord through each hole on the outermost edge, tie a knot to secure. Tie the ends of the cord off to a keyring with equal, hold it up afterwards to make sure the plaque hangs level. Retie and trim the cord as necessary.
4. Cut a long piece of leather cording to tie off to the top of the keyring, this allows the chimes to be hung at any length in the desired spot, you can add another key ring at the opposite end of the lacing for hanging once you’ve decided how long it needs to be for hanging.
5. Cut a long length of the leather lacing and string it through the center hole of the large plaque. Tie a knot on the top side of the plaque and trim the excess. Secure with hot glue if desired.
6. Feed that same piece of leather lacing through the small plaque or wheel and tie a knot underneath where you’d like to secure it in place. Now you have two tiers to your windchime, the second will knock against the pipes to create noise.
7. Now hang it off of something so that you can add the chimes while it’s suspended.
8. Use a pipe cutter to cut each pipe to the desired length. If you want to create the cascading step chime instead of having them all the same length, just cut each pipe 1” shorter than the one before.
PRO TIP: The more chimes you have the better the “steps” look, ours had twelve.
9. Drill a hole through the top of each pipe that goes through both sides so that the holes are across from each other.
10. String the waxed jewelry cord through both holes at the top of each chime then tie a knot around the cording to secure.
11. String each of the cords with a chime on it through a hole in the circle of holes on the big plaque. Tie the cording to a bead on the top side of the plaque so that it doesn’t slip back through the hole. Make sure all the pipes hang down the same distance from the plaque.
PRO TIP: If making the cascading step windchime, make sure that the pipes are added in consecutive lengths.
12. Once all the chimes are added, slide some beads onto the center length of leather lacing, place your feathers, slide the beads down over the ends of the feathers and secure with a little hot glue on the bottom and top.
13. Hang as desired and enjoy!