Orly Shani is showing how to make the old new by transforming a quilt into a beautiful designer looking skirt.
DIY Vintage Quilt Skirts
- Existing skirt that fits well
- Sewing machine and thread
- Fabric chalk or marker
- Fabric scissors
- Safety pins
- Straight pins
- Layout your quilt and decide which parts of the quilt you want to use. The corner or hemmed edges can be used as design elements, use the hem of the quilt as the bottom edge if you’d like to bypass hemming the bottom edge of the skirt.
- Fold the quilt in half then trace an existing skirt you like the fit of onto the quilt to create your pattern. Add half of the waist measurement to the width of the top edge of the skirt to make room for the elastic cinching and add the width of your elastic plus ½” to the height of the skirt for the elastic casing.
- Cut the fabric pattern out.
- Pin and sew the side seams.
- Fold over the top edge of the skirt for the casing and pin in place.
- Sew the casing, make sure to leave an opening that is the width of the elastic you’re using.
- Cut a length of elastic that is about 4” longer than the casing.
- Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic, feed it into the casing then scrunch and pull to move the elastic all the way through the casing until the safety pin end can be pulled back through the hole in casing.
- Test if you have the right amount of elastic. Use the safety pin to secure the ends of the excess elastic together. Try the skirt on then pull and pin the elastic in place to the fit you like.
- Sew the ends of the elastic together where the pin is.
- Sew the opening of the casing closed.
- Wear and Enjoy!
To Create a No-Sew Version
- Layout your quilt and decide which parts of the quilt you want to use. The corner or hemmed edges can be used as design elements, using the hem of the quilt as the bottom edge allows you to bypass hemming the bottom edge of the skirt.
- If you want to make the skirt shorter, measure out the length accounting ½” for the bottom hem, mark and cut.
- Use fabric glue to hem the bottom. Allow the glue to dry.
- Wrap the quilt around your waist and pin to secure with a cute brooch or safety pin and enjoy!