Orly Shani takes a beach umbrella from simple to chic with her DIY Vintage Beach Umbrellas.
- Beach umbrella in desired color
- Corded fringe with decorative binding
- Wooden finial
- Spray paint color matched to fringe
- Wooden dowel to diameter of knob hole in umbrella
- Drill with bit to size of finial screw shaft
- Fabric scissors
- Paint the finial to match the fringe. Set aside to dry.
- Adhere the fringe to the edge of the umbrella. Pin the fringe onto the umbrella edge in small sections to hold it up as you glue.
- When you finish, cut the excess and glue down the edge thoroughly to finish.
- Remove the knob on the top of the umbrella then place the dowel in and mark the needed height.
- Cut the dowel to height to fit inside of the knob shaft.
- Drill a pilot hole in the center of the dowel then screw the finial in.
- Apply E6000 to the dowel then slide it into the knob shaft.
- Cut a small piece of fringe to line around the finial’s edge. Glue in place.
- Allow the glue to dry for 24 hours then enjoy!