MATERIALS TO MAKE THE DOG TAG DOOR HANGER:
- Foam core
- x-acto knife
- metal ruler
- cutting mat
- silver spray paint
- silver foil tape
- stencil and paint or cricut for lettering
- metal beaded string
- jewelry snips
MATERIALS TO MAKE THE WOODEN AMERICAN FLAG:
- Long cut wood pieces
- Shorter cut wood pieces
- Various size cut wood pieces (shorter than the other pieces)
- Flat surface to arrange pieces on
- Wood glue
- Wood stain or paint wash in blue, cherry and white
- Brushes or rags for stain
- Tape measure
TO CREATE THE DOG TAG DOOR HANGER
1. Cut two identical dog tag shapes out of the foam core. Cut a hole at the top of a tag for the beaded string to go through.
2. Spray paint both faces of each dog tag silver. Try to avoid the exposed foam core edges. Allow to dry.
3. Cover all exposed foam core edges with silver foil tape.
4. Add the desired phrase by using a stencil and paint. Using a cricut with adhesive cricut paper to create a decal would work as well.
5. Cut some metal beaded string and string through the hole.
6. Tie a ribbon at the top of the beaded string where it hangs from for a patriotic touch.
7. Hang and enjoy!
TO CREATE THE WOODEN AMERICAN FLAG
1. Cut your wood pieces down to size, this will depend on what size flag you are making. Standard home flags are usually 3’ x 5’.
2. Prepare a flat surface to arrange your pieces on.
3. Arranging from the bottom up, stack all of your longest pieces horizontally securing with wood glue.
4. Then, continuing horizontally, stack the shorter pieces aligned to the right side to create the indented striped portion of the flag. Securing with wood glue.
5. Now take the shortest pieces cut to various sizes and arrange them vertically to create the “stars” portion of the flag securing with wood glue.
6. Now get your stains ready and apply the correct color to each piece of wood with rags. Be careful not to mix colors. Allow the stain to dry completely.
7. Cut some wood pieces to appropriate length to frame your flag. Attach the pieces around the edges with wood glue and nails.
8. Hang as desired and enjoy!