Directions for Swing
1. Wash tire with pressure washer before creating swing to eliminate rubber bits that can mark clothing. If painting your tire, use latex outdoor primer, let dry, then use the latex outdoor enamel, and let dry. You can also use spray paint.
2. Once dry, drill 3 holes in the tire, equal distances apart.
3. Measure the outer circumference of the tire and divide this number by three. You will use this measurement to mark and evenly space the holes.
4. Drill 3/8-inch holes at these locations. Attach a u-bolt or rope clamp to the end of each rope, pull other end through holes. Secure three ropes at top with clamp.
Directions for Cushion
1. Take pre-cut plywood round.
2. Place upholstery foam on top of round.
3. Wrap with fabric around the plywood and foam and then using a staple gun, staple fabric to round.
4. Place cushion inside tire.
Directions to Hang Swing
The swing should be hung about 10 feet off the ground, about 10 feet out from the trunk and from a tree branch at least 6 inches in diameter. The bottom of the tire should sit at least 12 inches off the ground, depending upon the size of the child using the swing. It should be high enough that the child's feet do not hit the ground. When hanging in a tree, loop the long rope over the branch and use a quick connector to secure the swing at the desired height. For a permanent installation, protect the tree branch by placing a scrap of carpet under the chain to avoid damaging the tree. The swing can also be mounted under a deck, on a playset, or on a brace between two smaller trees.