Orly Shani shares a clever and fashionable way to repurpose ties from our loved ones and create stylish and sentimental brooches.
DIY Silk Tie Brooches
- Silk tie
- Needle and thread
- Brooch pinbacks
- Gems or other decorative accoutrements
- Fabri-tac or gem-tac
- Take your tie and looping it around to create your desired shape. Start with the center and work out towards the ends. PRO TIP: If the tie is too long, cut off about 10 inches in the middle and you can hide the edge in the back. If it’s too long, it’s hard to loop in a flattering way.
- Secure the loops in place. There are two different ways to do this. The first is to tack down each loop as you go along using a needle and thread. The second method would be to create your full design and hold it with your hands and tack it all down at the same time. Knot the thread to secure.
- Attach the pinback with glue or needle and thread to the backside.
- Add decorative accoutrements with glue if desired, allow to dry and enjoy!