- *Recipe below is per color, make as much as you need per how many colors you want to use.
- 1/2 Cup + 3 Tablespoons of Plaster of Paris
- 1/3 Cup of water
- Few drops of food coloring (or you can also use tempera paint)
- Silicone molds
- Popsicle sticks
- Plastic cups and spoons
- Mix ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons Plaster of Paris with ⅓ cup of water. Use one plastic cup per color and mix the plaster and water until a paste forms, it will resemble frosting. Mix in the food coloring or tempura paint until you get the desired color you like. Use more paint or food coloring for stronger pigments.
- Using a plastic spoon, place the plaster mix inside the mold, add a Popsicle stick in the middle, placing down as far as possible.
- After 45 minutes, the Popsicle chalks will be hard enough to take out of the silicone molds. Allow them to dry upright in a cup until they are completely hardened. They dry within 3 hours after they're made and are ready for use, but some people like to wait to give it 24 hours to be certain they are thoroughly dried.
- Add in some craft glitter for sparkle if desired.
Tip: Although Plaster of Paris is generally considered to be non-toxic, you always want to have adult supervision when children are playing with the craft products.
DIY Sidewalk Chalk with Tanya Memme
For more Lifestyle by Tanya, visit www.TanyaMemme.com and follow Tanya on Twitter @Tanya_Memme!